Saturday, October 30, 2010

How busy is too busy?

There are at least two types of people in this world: Busy Bodies and Home Bodies. I am the former and my husband is the latter. I thrive on activity whereas James is perfectly content to stay at home. I think one reason for our difference is that James spends most of his week working outside of the home so he treasures the time when he can just put his feet up, watch TV, and internet surf. I, on the other hand, devote the majority of my time working inside the home so I’m quick to jump on any opportunity to get out and socialize. So if we stay home then I’m grumpy because I end up spending the day cleaning messes, preparing meals, washing dishes,  laundering clothes, and disciplining and entertaining children. But if we go out the James is grumpy because he’d rather be home relaxing.
 So how do we compromise? Where’s the happy medium? How busy is too busy?
Looking back at my own childhood, I remember that my family was always busy with some kind of organized event or activity. I made fond memories during these times and am thankful for the valuable life lessons they taught me. After all, those experiences are what made me who I am today. But at the same time, I can see how the constant, highly structured, on-the-go lifestyle may have been detrimental to the family as a whole. Mainly because, more often than not, one or more of us children (usually the youngest) got left behind and left out. I can definitely see the benefit in staying home and staying together. But on the other hand, how do you explain to one of your 4 year old daughter’s best friends in the whole word that she won’t be at his birthday party? Because we need to stay home and veg? I don’t think so.
In a three day span over this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday our schedule includes one Halloween party, one dinner party, two birthday parties, various family errands, Sunday School, church service, and trick-or-treating. My children are still young and I already feel like a busy mom. What am I going to do when I have to take the kids to school, sports practices, music lessons, scouts, church youth group, sleep-overs, and more? I guess we’ll have to jump that hurdle when it comes. But for now I think it’s safe to say that if you can’t find the time to give your filthy kids a bath, then you’re too busy.

2 comments:

  1. Being a special needs mama, I am "busy" with the intense caregiving of my son and also trying to balance being a supportive wife to my hubby.
    I know that if I can't give equal amounts of time to both, then I am "too busy".

    Thanks for posting this. Very well written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids haven't had baths in two days, but that's possibly due to sheer laziness! :)

    ReplyDelete