Monday, May 7, 2012

Instructions Not Included

Holding newborn Josie in my first moments of motherhood


It is common knowledge that children do not come with instruction manuals. If you’re a parent then you know that from the moment you first held your tiny babe in your arms and looked down at their helpless face, you have been asking yourself, “How…?” No amount of preparation or education can fully equip us as mothers and fathers and, in those moments of sheer panic when the weight of parental responsibility pushes down heavily on our shoulders, we find ourselves praying. Praying for guidance, for answers, for remedies, for solutions. We yearn for that legendary instruction manual. If only such a thing existed…



I’m no expert. But with three children and a fourth on the way I at least know enough to have an idea of what that manual might look like. Bound with a thick woven cover and printed on heavy paper, it would intimidate most readers. In size it would rival even The Good Book itself. When we opened the binding we would be overwhelmed with that unmistakable smell of a book that has been passed down for generations, creased by innumerable hands. With care we reverently turn each page, awed by the wisdom to be found within. We flip through the first few chapters on bonding, breastfeeding, sleep training. We skip forward past solid foods and teething, past crawling, walking and separation anxiety. We keep skimming through the chapters and see a section on How to Tame a Tantrum. That’s a good one, but not what we’re looking for. Next is How to Scrub Crayon off Every Surface Imaginable. Another good one, but we keep going….How to Make a Picky Eater Eat. Oops, we went too far. Flip back a few pages. Ahhh, there it is- the chapter I was looking for.



I’m trying to find an answer to a question that continues to plague me: How much should a mother play with her children?



Play is such an important part of childhood. Arguably it is THE most important part. As a mother, I realize that I have a vital role in fostering healthy play time. I want to participate in this important aspect of my children’s lives as much as possible. I love being a part of pretend, and playing in their games, and leading crafts. But I also see the value in encouraging them to self-perpetuate their own play. I want them to learn how to entertain themselves. And I also know that practically a mother cannot play with her children at all times- there is housework to be done, after all. Plus there are times when a woman just can’t muster one more high-pitched, goofy character voice or take one more sip of make-believe tea. At least not if she’s going to keep her sanity. I constantly find myself weighing the pros and cons of participating in my kids’ play, most often in an attempt to fight off the guilt that follows those days when I haven’t made time to play with them at all. But there’s no Instruction Manual so there’s no easy answer. Most likely it boils down to finding the perfect balance. I work continually toward maintaining such a balance for my kids in our household.



All last week I looked forward to taking the kids to the beach on Saturday. It had been a long, busy week and I felt like I’d done too much supervising and not enough interacting. Going to the beach has become a new favorite activity of mine. For the short time that we’re there I can leave all my other obligations behind and focus solely on my kids. On the beach, Josie, Jamie, and Johnny have my full, uninterrupted attention. I admire their seashells. I help them dig holes and look for crabs. I splash with them in the waves. I wrap them in their towels and cuddle them dry. On the beach, having fun comes easy.







Parenthood is filled with unanswered questions. We’re never completely sure if we’ve done enough and we’re always feeling guilty about falling short. But some days- the really special ones- leave us feeling one step closer to satisfied. I’m no expert but I’m pretty sure that if there was an instruction manual for parents and if it contained a chapter on how much parents should play with their kids, it would probably have at least one paragraph about going to the beach and no less than one sentence about building a sandcastle. I’m happy to say that that’s one box I can put a check mark in!

No comments:

Post a Comment