Friday, May 27, 2011

Friends Like These

Growing up, my sister Jessica had a friend named Julie. (I know what you’re probably thinking right now… “Enough with all the Js already!”) Jessie and Julie were inseparable. Wherever one was, the other would be also and if they couldn’t be together then they’d be talking to each other on the phone or writing each other letters to pass in class the next day. Julie spent so much time at our house and participated in our family activities so often that, still to this day, I think of her as my fourth sister. Jessie and Julie had the kind of friendship that other people envied. They shared a million inside jokes and could finish each other’s sentences. Sure, they’d get steaming mad and refuse to speak to each other for days or weeks at a time, but their relationship was so strong that they’d always end up coming back together in the end. Their friendship started when they were only 6 years old and is still going strong 20 years later. Life has thrown everything it’s got at them but still it seems that nothing can tear them apart. Even as adults, though college and marriage led them down different paths- my sister lives in California and Julie lives in Arizona- they make a point to call each other regularly and visit when they can. The two of them could be poster children for the acronym “BFF.”

I never had that as a kid. I was that awkward child on the playground who was too much of a tomboy to be invited to play tea party with all the girls but too much of a girl to be invited to play soccer with all the boys. I spent most of my recesses either sitting at the benches drawing pictures or walking in circles around the yard concocting elaborate stories about what I was going to be when I grew up. Thank God that I had so many siblings to go home to after the school bell rang because otherwise I would have had a depressingly lonely childhood. I was never able to find a friend like Jessie’s Julie. You just don’t find friends like that every day.

That’s how I know that friends like the ones I have now are a once-in-a-lifetime find.


The saying goes that “you don’t know what you’ve got, until it’s gone.” Well, that’s not completely true. If you ask me, I think it should read, “you really appreciate what you’ve got when you know you’re about to lose it.” The time I have left to spend with my friends here in New York is limited and that makes every moment exponentially more special.

On Thursday I met my friends Christine and Colleen and we all caravanned north to Moreau Lake State Park. It’s only about a 30 minute drive but when you’re traveling with seven young children and all their subsequent baggage in tow a half-hour drive from home seems like quite the elaborate excursion. Entrance was free (!), the weather was perfect (!), and almost everyone was in a pleasant mood (!).


I say almost because Josie did spend the first part of playground play sulking and pouting for no good reason. But the group really livened once we set off on an adventure hike.

 

We admired bugs, skipped rocks, found sticks…oh, and collected a nice array of mosquito bites too. Gotta love nature!



Next we claimed a couple of picnic benches and ate lunch together while catching up on all the latest stories from each other’s lives.



Plus there were a few potty breaks inserted in the middle and a smile-filled time with bubble wands tacked onto the end.


That same afternoon I drove myself and my kids to our other friend Kristen’s house (she had to work in the morning so she wasn’t able to join us at the park). She agreed to entertain the kids for me while I started painting a dinosaur mural in her son’s bedroom. I definitely think I got the better deal.

It may sound like a pretty accurate summary of my day, but in actuality there was a lot more to it than that. My friends gave me a few treasured hugs and their happy, glowing faces made me smile. Their presence puts me at ease. They gave me some practical advice on using my baby sling correctly and some psychological advice on living life rightly. We entrusted each other with our deepest frustrations and most exciting joys. They complimented me on my chocolate chip cookies. We basked in the glory of God’s creation and shared in His gift of fellowship. We laughed together. We didn’t cry, but if he had then we would have known that it was okay. I kept an eye on their kids for a couple minutes and they kept an eye on mine and we would all lightheartedly but with an ounce of sincerity agree that that’s the best gift a friend can give. We reminisced about the past and made plans for the future. You see, the things I listed above (playgrounds, nature walks, picnic lunches) are great, but these things here are the marks of true friendship.

Friends like these are a once-in-a-lifetime find. They are the type of BFFs that people covet.  I spent my whole life searching for friends like Christine, Colleen, and Kristen, and now that I’ve found them I don’t intend on letting them go. So ladies, if you’re reading this, you should consider yourself for-warned. I’m not about to let 540 miles- the distance between Ballston Spa, New York and Chesapeake, Virginia- keep us apart. Email, text, Skype, Facebook, road trip….I’ll do whatever it takes to make sure we stay friends….even if it means bugging you in the middle of your nightly bedtime routine because that’s the only time I can be sure you’ll be home. You better believe it (and knowing how well you know me, I’m sure you do). No matter how many new and wonderful things come my way, I could never dream of replacing friends like you.

1 comment:

  1. You are absolutely not getting rid of me. Getting to know you and becoming your friend has been one of the most honest, rewarding and fulfilling friendship I've had. Our adventurous day in Moreau Lake is yet another that will go down in history. I want to keep making memories like that for a long time! You will be seriously missed. I'm honored to be in your "inner circle".

    ReplyDelete