Monday, November 1, 2010

Exersaucer Time Machine

Johnny reached a momentous milestone today. He got to experience his first play time in the exersaucer.  Having decided that Johnny’s muscle control has advanced enough for the next stage of play, I trudged out to our storage shed, moved some other old toys, shifted a few boxes, and dug out the exersaucer. I lugged it up to the house and scrubbed it down with some Lysol. Josie and Jamie were both excited to see a “new” toy. In fact, Jamie loved it so much that I had to drag him out of the seat kicking and screaming.  It was finally Johnny’s turn so I slid him down into the seat and propped him up with a fluffy blanket. He was a bit skeptical at first but soon his big blue eyes grew wide as he gazed at all the brightly colored toys in front of him.
As I sat beside him cross-legged on the floor, watching his little arms wave wildly and his tiny dangling feet kick back at forth, my mind was flooded with memories…

(Baby Josie)

James and I bought this exersaucer for a five-month-old Josie in 2006. I remember browsing the isle in Babies ‘R Us and strongly considering the pink & purple colored one that was decorated with butterflies and flowers. I settled on this one instead because I figured we’d keep it for the second child, who could possibly be a boy. Good thinking on my part!  After we brought it home and I saw how much she loved playing in it I thought that it was the smartest investment I’d ever made. She practically lived in it for five months of her life.But then she began to crawl, then creep, then cruise and the exersaucer was exiled to the basement until Jamie came along.

(Baby Jamie and Little Josie)

I can remember the first time Jamie played in this exersaucer like it was yesterday. It was the first time that Josie took much interest in her new baby brother. Josie almost completely ignored Jamie and went about life like he didn’t even exist until the time I first put him in the exersaucer. I guess she decided he was okay as long as he’d share his toys. Jamie didn’t play with this nearly as long as Josie because he was an early mover and hated being confined. But before he reached that point, he and I spend many early, early mornings together playing with the exersaucer toys.


(Baby Johnny)

And now, four years later, they’re all playing with the exersaucer again- one toy, three kids, countless memories. I hate saying this because it’s said so often that it’s almost a cliché, but THEY GROW UP TOO FAST!

2 comments:

  1. We are getting old it would seem.I wish we could get them to stop growing up so fast, I am missing out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes they grow up way to fast! Wow! Johnny looks so much like James!

    ReplyDelete