Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Show off (and proud of it)

If you had sat in my living room this time last year you would have been surrounded by family portraits of all shapes and sizes. Big 10x13s of the whole family, 8x10s of the kids, 5x7s of our parents, and 3x5s of everyone from years ago stared out from behind their shiny glass frames. (We had to take most of these down to prepare our house for showings when we put it on the market- a sad day for me, in that sense.) People have asked me why I am so in love with taking professional portraits and displaying them so prominently. I thought long and hard about this question and came up with a very simple answer: Because I’m a show off. And can you blame me? I mean, look at them! My family is the most absolutely adorable thing ever!

Judge me if you will, but I relish the attention that I get when I parade my three kids, all dressed up in their fancy dress clothes, and my husband, handsomely clad in his sailor uniform, through the mall on our way to the portrait studio. And the comments I get after sending our pictures to family & friends in our yearly Christmas cards make me glow with pride.  My friends joke about how quick I am to post pictures on facebook but I think it goes without saying that I’m only eager to share my family’s cuteness with the cyber world.
You can scoff at how vain this all sounds, but at least I’m being truthful. Besides, would you criticize an artist for displaying his painting, or a baker for sharing her delicacies, or a seamstress for flaunting her fashions? And how much more work did I do to create this family than all those? Okay, okay, so I didn’t exactly “create” James but I do take some credit for making him the man he’s become in the eight- almost nine- years that we’ve been married. All I’m saying is that there’s nothing wrong with appreciating the gifts that God has given you and wanting to share them with all.

1 comment:

  1. Jenny You should be very proud of your wonderful family!!
    I can't wait to see and get a picture!!

    ReplyDelete